Help us celebrate Preservation Month this May! A national event which helps promote historic places. Steamboat’s Historic Preservation Commission, is partnering with Historic Routt County, Main Street Steamboat and the Tread of Pioneers Museum. Together we are honoring Preservation Month with the “This Place Matters” campaign. Founded by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, this event supports communities in highlighting the places that matter most to them.
Here is how you get in on the action!
Pick a place that matters. There are no limits or restrictions: anywhere in Routt County.
1. Download and print a This Place Matters sign, you can use this post’s featured image or can download a PDF of it by clicking here
2. Snap a photo of yourself with the This Places Matters sign at the place that matters to you.
3. Share a few sentences about why This Place Matters.
4. Share your photo on social media with the hashtags #thisplacematters and #steamboatsnaps.
Other Preservation Month activities include:
- Dana Crawford, winner of the Governor’s Citizenship Medal will be speaking at the Chief Theater on Monday, May 20, 2019. The Citizenship Medal is the highest honor bestowed upon Colorado citizens and organizations for meritorious contributions that strengthen the vitality of our state.
- Tread of Pioneers Scavenger Hunt. Learn more about Steamboat’s historic buildings and the people who developed our town in this fun site-to-site downtown hunt. Pick up a Scavenger Hunt at Tread of Pioneers Museum or go online:www.treadofpioneers.org
- Look for special heritage-themed banners lining Steamboat’s Lincoln Ave.
- Tread of Pioneers Museum – Opening June 7 for First Friday Artwalk (5-8pm), “This Place Matters: The Economic, Cultural, and Environmental Power of Heritage and Place.” An exhibit featuring significant buildings we have lost over time, along with featured buildings and perspectives from the #thisplacematters campaign during May. The exhibit will convey the importance and allure of our historic assets and how these assets are at risk.